NET welcomes the announcement of the Commission of a European testing protocol for travellers and a common approach to quarantines. If correctly implemented, it will restore travel confidence and allow the travel and tourism industry to lift off again
During the immediate response to the crisis, the European Commission recognised that:
- Tourism revenue had suffered a total collapse, just at the start of the season
- Investment in the sector would not take place - Its ecosystem is dominated by SMEs and micro enterprises
- This is what makes the tourism offer in Europe so diverse, distinctive and appealing
- The losses are cross-cutting in impact, including transport, culture and rural economy
- This crisis is different: demand has been drastically suppressed and travel discouraged
Recognising that tourism has been “badly hit” by the COVID-19 crisis, ECTAA is pleased to see that Tourism Ministers are eager to use the EU Recovery Fund for tourism. ECTAA also welcomes their support for a “harmonized solution” for refunding travel packages, including vouchers (link).